General Category > General Discussion

Introduction to the People Appreciation Society

(1/1)

Carole:
There are many ‘appreciation societies’ – for clouds, for roundabouts on roads, even for pylons!  But there is no People Appreciation Society and I believe we need one.

Many people are desperate for appreciation.  Have you noticed how the face of a child or of an adult ‘lights up’ when something positive or appreciative is said to them? And how downcast they appear when they are criticised or fail at something important to them?

So I am herewith opening a People Appreciation Society!

What is involved?

There are no fees to pay and no commitments.  But if you wish to take this idea forward, we ask you actively to think about giving some appreciation to somebody each day.  Examples might be:

*  Saying something appreciative to the parent(s) of a young child.  (I still remember how joyful I felt when a passer-by, looking into the pram with my six months old little girl, exclaimed, “Look at that smile!  You can tell a baby is loved when she smiles like that!”)

*  Saying something positive to a neighbour or colleague.  Perhaps personal comments are best avoided (not sure about that), but an appreciative word is almost always valued.

*  Sending a card or making a phone call to thank someone for work they have undertaken or a contribution they have made.

Thank you very much for your interest.   

Carole

Carole:
Thank you for that post. 

It prompted me to put 'Scouts' and 'appreciation' into Google and lo and behold, the Boy Scouts of America have a Volunteer Appreciation scheme, by which their volunteer helpers receive a letter or even a certificate of thanks for all that they do.

This reminds me that I have always thought that organisations which rely on volunteers would be wise to demonstrate their appreciation in an active and enjoyable way.  Some youth clubs have annual Volunteer Suppers, cooked and served by the young people. 

Any other examples?

Carole

Mardon:
What a good idea this is Carole! I hope you have lots of people subscribing to it and appreciating many other people. I always try to send a note to people I know who are experiencing difficulties and also thank you letters to those who have helped me (including yourself Carole!).

Love and best wishes.

peterD:
Hello Carole,

Just to say I have registered and will post an appreciation in the next day or two. I have a particular thank you in mind at the moment.

A good idea - we take so much for granted these days - I guess it is something to do with the pace of modern life.

Best wishes
Peter

peterD:

--- Quote from: peterD on Sunday 24 September 2017, 08:35 ---Hello Carole,

Just to say I have registered and will post an appreciation in the next day or two. I have a particular thank you in mind at the moment.

A good idea - we take so much for granted these days - I guess it is something to do with the pace of modern life.

Best wishes
Peter

--- End quote ---

Hello again,

We have heard so much recently about the poor standards of care for the elderly and vulnerable in residential homes, I felt I wanted to record that it is not all like that.  My sister-in-law has had the progressive form of MS for going on for 30 years and has recently needed extended respite care which will probably become permanent.  During her the time in the care/nursing home she developed a serious condition which eventually necessitated a stay in hospital and operation.  She has now been discharged back to the home.  Whilst she would prefer to be back in her own home, she herself would readily acknowledge, and we have always witnessed, the love and care provided by all the staff, but particularly the nursing staff. This, in our opinion and observation, has gone well beyond the evident and necessary professionalism required. I won't name the establishment but they know we very much appreciate what they have done and continue to do.  Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version